Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Lift emergency procedure
The thought of being shut in a lift is not a happy prospect for anyone, so we are making sure that anyone who finds themselves stuck in one of our 175 lifts knows exactly what to do.
We are fitting every lift with signage displaying the emergency free phone telephone number to phone should you need assistance. All new lifts have a telephone link to our 24hr call centre and lift contractors. Over 85 per cent of our existing lift installations have also been fitted with telephone links to our 24hr call centre and lift contractors.
These changes have been prompted by the London Fire Brigades announcement that they will be reducing the number of lift trappings that they will attend, to encourage landlords to make their own arrangements to release people trapped in faulty lifts.
Lift emergency telephone operation procedure
- If you become trapped within the lift there is an emergency telephone system in the lift car push button panel.
- To activate this system press the alarm button on the lift car push button panel until a voice is heard.
- A voice will then announce; ‟please hold you are being connected to an emergency telephone”.
- You will then hear a ringing tone coming from the lift car push button panel.
- The telephone will be answered by a 24hr call centre operator.
- The telephone will announce your exact location to the call centre.
- You will then be able to communicate with the 24hr call centre operator who will send out an engineer to release you from the lift, and give you an estimated time of the engineer’s arrival.
- Most importantly do not attempt to leave the lift car until the engineer instructs you that it is safe to do so.