Cafe Volunteer at Bow Brew
St Paul's Way is our newest neighbourhood centre, with trendy decor and modern design. It has a huge range of facilities, including a full IT suite, an art gallery, sound-proof meeting rooms and an expandable multi-purpose hall, all great for hosting different projects and events. It is also home to the Bow Brew café, which serves delicious coffee and food.
As a Café Volunteer you will support staff in a variety of café activities. This is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for coffee and customer service to gain hands on experience in our beautiful café. This role is particularly suited to someone with a strong interest in the arts supporting our mission to empower, educate and bring people together, making Bow Brew a destination for all.
Hours: At least once per week, at a time befitting the needs of the café and the availability of the volunteer.
Description of Tasks
- Representing Bow Brew to its customers, promoting a friendly and welcoming atmosphere
- Engaging with all café and Bow Brew visitors to inform about what we do and how they can get involved
- Taking the time to keep up to date with the programme of events in order to answer customer questions
- Providing support for one off café events
- Taking food orders, assisting in the preparation of food and beverages, serving food
- Clearing and cleaning tables, emptying bins, kitchen cleaning
- Restocking fridges and freezers
- Supporting the café manager with some administrative duties, including responding to enquiries, researching recipes, printing order lists and marketing
- Occasional light washing up duties
- To ensure a safe environment for customers
- Volunteering alongside other volunteers and members of staff to run a wonderful café
- Paying attention to customer care for patrons with addition support needs
- Undertaking any other reasonable café duties
- To volunteer adhering to Poplar Union and Poplar HARCA’s policies and procedures
We are looking for lively and committed volunteers with a genuine interest in people, food, customer service and an enthusiasm for our wonderful café. In this position we are able to offer valuable hands on café experience, we are increasingly baking our own goods for the café and we can teach you some baking too! we are looking for local volunteers who live in Poplar or Bow.
We are delighted to offer this opportunity to anyone ages 16+
Ideally we are looking for volunteers for stay with us for around 3 months.
Training and Support
Volunteers are required to attend an informal interview followed by a 2 hour trial session. If successful you will have a volunteer induction before your first proper voluntary shift. Training will cover all necessary information relating to the role, as well as practical training on the use of specific equipment and how to evacuate the building. We will try our very best to accommodate volunteers with additional support needs. Barista training will also be available.
Opportunities & Benefits
- A fun, stimulating and friendly environment within which to volunteer
- A full induction, followed by relevant training and ongoing support
- The opportunity to gain café & Barista experience, including barista training with one of our partners
- Support into employment with our Employment & Training team who provide access to a wide range of training courses
- A named supervisor who will give you regular feedback, allowing you to track your progress and work towards meeting your particular goals
- Priority for any further training we have on offer
- ‘Out of pocket’ travel and food expenses with proof of receipt
- An honest reference regardless of how long you are with us
- A supportive space to be in and a safe, artistic environment without discrimination
- Special ticket offers (where possible)
- Invitations to volunteer social events
All volunteers will be required to complete an application form, attend an informal interview and be able to supply details of two referees from whom we will seek references.