ESOL Support Volunteer
St Paul's Way is one of our newer neighbourhood centres, with trendy decor and modern design. It has a huge range of facilities, including a full IT suite, an art gallery, sound-proof meeting rooms and an expandable multi-purpose hall, all great for hosting different projects and events. It is also home to the Bow Brew café, which serves delicious coffee and food.
To support ESOL learners in session to practice their English, support them to understand and complete exercises and to support the tutor to ensure everyone is engaged and benefitting from the group.
St Paul’s Way Community Centre, 83 St Paul’s Way, E3 4AJ
Description of tasks
- Support tutors to engage learners in the sessions
- Help set up the room and tidy away
- Speak to learners 1 on 1, encouraging them to practice their English
- Support learners to understand and complete assigned exercises
- Attend day trips with learners, encouraging them to practice their English with the general public
- Assist with any separate events organised to support the learners’ English development
- To fulfill any other duties considered reasonable as directed by staff
- To adhere to Poplar HARCA’s policies and procedures.
We are looking for motivated and engaging volunteers who care about helping learners to succeed. You will be confident speaking English but it may not be your first language. Ideally you will be able to volunteer for at least three months on a regular weekly basis.
Mondays 9.30am – 12.30pm or 12.30 – 3pm
Tuesdays 9.30am – 12.30pm or 12.30 – 3pm
Wednesdays 9.30am – 12.30pm or 12.30 – 3pm
What we can offer
- We aim to provide a meaningful experience for you as a volunteer
- You will have a full induction followed by the right training and ongoing support
- You will have a named Poplar HARCA contact and there will be opportunities for regular feedback so you can track your progress and work towards meeting your particular goals
- You will be prioritised for any further training we have on offer
- You will receive agreed ‘out of pocket’ travel and food expenses (for volunteering of 5 hours or more) with proof of receipts
- We will provide you with an honest reference regardless of how long you are with us
- We can promise a safe environment without discrimination and a supportive space to be in.
All volunteers will be required to complete an application form, attend an informal interview and supply two satisfactory character references.
0797 686 4217 or 020 7510 0576