Green Hub – Garden Lead Volunteer
Garden Lead Volunteers will act as the liaison between Aberfeldy Community Centre & community garden users within the area. They will work closely with the existing gardeners to encourage co-operative working while supporting their work in their individual plots.
Garden Lead volunteers will facilitate garden activities that will foster community spirit among the gardeners. They will facilitate support for the community garden in cash or in kind to enable the gardens to flourish as an attractive, productive community asset.
Description of tasks
Garden Policies and Procedures/Guidelines
- Ensure that guidelines are agreed by members of the community garden concerned and that all members fully understand and abide by such guideline
- Promote best practices in the concerned garden.
- To facilitate meetings of the garden members.
- Notify/remind gardeners of planned meetings/ gatherings/ activities, volunteering requests, educational & training opportunities.
- Update garden bulletin boards to communicate with gardeners who do not use email
- Encourage active exchange/ communication and problem-solving among gardeners.
- Offer support for conflict situations when needed.
- Attend quarterly garden review meetings with CaN Green Hub Staff
- Record and Monitor volunteer hours weekly and report CaN Green Hub Staff
- Notify Green Hub Staff of critical maintenance needs (e.g., broken lock, damaged beds, water leaks etc.)
- Request supplies for garden (e.g., tools, wood chips and soil)
- Assess garden plot activity and discus non-compliance to garden guidelines with relevant gardener. (e.g., abandoned plots, misuse of beds). Communicate case to garden members and agree course of action.
- Coordinate maintenance of common areas, pathways, and plants/ trees.
Community Building and Events
- Coordinate general garden, volunteer, and educational opportunities at garden site.
- Facilitate the organisation of community activities and events (e.g., seasonal garden events, gardener gatherings)
- Delegate and broaden site leadership, recruit volunteers to assist with special projects (e.g., harvesting events, spring festivals)
- Motivate & Encourage garden volunteers to work together (e.g., facilitate introductions and communication among gardeners)
Health & Safety
- Be aware of any matters, which might be considered to prejudice the health, safety or well being of gardeners, volunteers, residents and / or visitors to the gardens. Report any concerns to the Green Hub Lead.