There are many people who are lonely and living in isolation across Poplar and Bow and this affects their health and quality of life dramatically. Intergen works acts to avert loneliness in older adults and address hostile stereotypes of old and young people. The children flourish with the extra time and attention they receive, and improve their aspirations while the older adults are respected for their knowledge and skills. Overall, communities are strengthened.
We are looking for volunteers who are keen to support projects that bring older and younger people together.
Volunteers can get involved to do many things and run a variety of projects including:
- Reading workshops
- Lunch clubs
- Working behind the scenes in support roles
- Organising afternoon tea
Burcham St Centre, 56 Burcham St, Poplar, E14 0SH
Description of Tasks
- Setting up the session at the start and tidying at the end
- Lead / Support with identified projects
- Communicate and promote our service to new and existing service-users
- Promote the sessions with local outreach
Hours: Monday – Friday, flexible hours depending on the project
- Excellent listening and communications skills
- A genuine desire to support isolated people
- Understanding of working within a mixed community
- An appreciation of the issues facing isolated people
- A fun and friendly disposition
- A friendly and calm approach to interacting with others
- The ability to be supportive and non-judgemental regardless of the persons background, age and life choices
- The ability to encourage and motivate another person
- Have a good understanding of the need for confidentiality
- To maintain a relationship based on trust you must be reliable
- Flexible to meet the needs of the project
What can we offer?
- We aim to provide a meaningful experience for you as a volunteer.
- You will have a full induction followed by the right training and ongoing support.
- You will have a named PH Contact and there will be opportunities for regular feedback so you can track your progress and work towards meeting your particular goals.
- You will be prioritised for any further training we have on offer.
- You will receive agreed ‘out of pocket’ travel and food expenses (for volunteering of 5 hours or more) with proof of receipts.
- We will provide you with an honest reference regardless of how long you are with us.
- We can promise a safe environment without discrimination and a supportive space to be in.
All volunteers will be required to complete an application form, attend an informal interview, supply two satisfactory character references and undertake a criminal record check which we will pay for.
0797 686 4217
0207 510 0576