DIY & home improvements

If you are a tenant and want to do some DIY, please get in touch with us first, so we can check our records and let you know if asbestos is present.

You can get in touch by logging in to MyHARCA and submitting a Home Alterations Form.

We may carry out an asbestos survey to your home, if we think it’s needed.


  • DIY, including drilling, sawing, scrubbing, sanding and pulling up floor coverings including carpets, may release asbestos fibres which could put the health of your household at risk
  • If you are a leaseholder, you will need to arrange and pay for an asbestos survey and any associated work required to remove asbestos
  • Always use an approved contractor who is licensed with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
  • You can find a licensed asbestos removal contractor on the Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA) website.

Email us at if you have any questions about asbestos in your home.