If you suspect you have a gas leak, telephone the free, 24-hour National Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999 straight away
What to do if you can smell gas in your home:
- Call 0800 111 999 straight away
- Open all your doors and windows
- Don’t operate electrical switches (including turning light switches on or off) because this can ignite escaping gas
- Extinguish all naked flames and don’t smoke
- Shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve (there’s usually a large lever next to the gas meter)
- Leave your home as soon as you can.